question

jfuhr@lobbycentral.com avatar image
jfuhr@lobbycentral.com asked

Messaging with a long number versus toll free number

I am evaluating the Telnyx platform to use for messaging. We currently use Twilio with a standard phone number.

Under Limits, I see that long number messaging is limited to 6 messages per minute, but a toll-free number can send 1200 per minute.

The cost per month is the same so I'm trying to understand why you would use a long number instead of a toll-free one.

Is a long number 555-555-5555 or something else?

messaging
10 |600

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jfuhr@lobbycentral.com avatar image
jfuhr@lobbycentral.com answered
10 |600

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

klane@telnyx.com avatar image
klane@telnyx.com answered

Hey, thanks for posting your solution! A long code is a local number like 555-555-5555. Like the docs you linked say if you need high throughput (guideline would say greater than 200/day/number) and many of the same or similar message like for a marketing campaign, notifications or reminders then it makes more sense to use a toll-free number. Long code use in my experience is best for conversational texting meaning P2P like for customer service. If you email me a Telnyx account of your choice to klane@telnyx.com then I will add $10 of Telnyx credit for you :)

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Manage Your Content